Monday 28 January 2019

Year One are...Cooking with cubes!



Cooking with cubes

As always, here in Year One we are constantly looking for ways to bring the curriculum to life through fun, worthwhile experiences. This half term in maths we are teaching measure through cooking. 

The children in Year One need to learn to measure using non-standard and standard units of measure so together we have converted some scrumptious recipes from grams into cubes. The children are working with an adult for the first few weeks to learn how to correctly measure, before it becomes an independent activity.






The children used the balance scales to measure out the ingredients. Some of the ingredients required 50 cubes. The children said it was taking too long to count 50 cubes so the organised the cubes in sticks of 10.

'I loved doing this. I have made cakes at home but never
 all by myself. I can't wait to bake all by myself! This is the best maths!
Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment